Wednesday 19 June 2024

Reporting from the Downs Again- Day 7 | Bramcote

Day 7 - Goodbye Hymns & West Park Stroll

The morning started with a big family gathering. I put on my black top and black trousers, as per the general guideline. Everyone looked very smart in their formal attire. We drove to the nearby crematorium where a service was held. Hymns were sung in the chorus, followed by an eulogy. A lovely poem was recited post which Frank Sinatra’s song was played in the music box. There were a few quivering voices and hazy eyes.

We made our way to a nearby pub where snacks and drinks were arranged. I met lots of people there. Being the only Indian around made me an easy expert of my country and I parted my knowledge wisely! Either I had a very thick accent or I must have said the right things, because people genuinely seemed to like me!

As the day rolled into the evening, people took their leave. A couple of us decided to go for a walk and stretch our legs. I also had a secret plan for having some more food on top of all those pub sandwiches I already had. Call me greedy! So we drove back to Long Eaton and went out for a walk.

West Park

West Park is a big wide green area in Long Eaton that seems to offer a lot of recreational sporting activities, tree trails, gardening, park runs and so on. The low light of the evening created a perfect ambience as we walked through different paths in this park. It was quite refreshing to be outside after the emotional day. As we headed back home, I got a takeaway from the fish ‘n’ chips shop near the park. You cannot not fish ‘n’ chips when you are in England!

This tree contributed to a long discussion / debate as to what tree is this. Debate is still on!

As we got ready for bed, we realised it was the Summer Solstice day - June 20. DD is always super excited about everything that’s out there in the space. Paul was out with his electronic gadgets too to mark the day. But sleep is so much more powerful than anything else that we soon succumbed to it and the longest day of the year turned into a night quickly.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple of days in Mayapur-Nabadwip

চা কি খাবোনা আমরা? - রিকি মায়াপুর না নবদ্বীপ ? ভাবলেই মাথা ঢিপ ঢিপ ! টোটো-র হর্ন আর মন্দিরের ভীড় , কচুরি পানা ভরা জল জলঙ্গীর ... তিলক কেটে...