Thursday 27 June 2024

Reporting from the Downs Again- Day 15 | Eastbourne

Day 15 - Eastbourne Tennis & Strawberry ‘n’ Cream

Wimbledon is Wimbledon. There is nothing more to say about that. But what’s the next best thing? Eastbourne Rothesay International Tennis has been celebrating its grass court for 50 years now and I was on Cloud Nine when I arrived at this event !

Rothesay International Lawn Tennis Centre


What a beautiful surprise this was ! I love surprises but lately they have not been very pleasant. But this one surprise made everything okay and beyond ! I did not know where we were going even in the morning when we got to the station. I was kept in the dark, tickets were bought in an extremely secretive manner. The guessing game was on anyway. But, I could have never guessed it and I could not believe it straight away either even when I was told ! 

Also, I saw two llamas in a farm from the train window as it rolled down the track to Eastbourne. Totally unrelated fact but it’s worth my memory!

Enjoying Pimm's, Strawberries and the Sun

The whole experience in Rothesay was amazing. Right from outside the train station, there was a tennis-festive vibe. There were lots of big adverts and flags. People in their big sun hats were walking down to the arena. We followed the crowd and arrived at the venue.

In between the matches

Location was impeccable, the tournament was held at the lovely Devonshire Park in Eastbourne. On one side, a charming old church peeked into the view. The weather was just right with lots of sun and a pleasant coastal breeze.

British duo in action...

We watched 3 matches and saw some big names playing in the court like Raducanu, Tayor Fritz, Harriet Dart. We saw 21 years’ old Leylah Fernandez playing Dart with extreme agility and immediately took a liking to her. Kader Nouni, the French umpire was officiating this game and entertained everyone with his ‘luxurious’ voice and commentary style ! I have become his fan ever since.

Leylah Fernandez serving..

I felt extremely pampered and blessed when I was handed over a big box of strawberry and cream that was carefully packed and brought over for the day along with my favourite avocado and roast chicken sandwich ! 

Strawberry & Cream !

And just like that, we spent the day watching tennis, walking around the arena, sniffing around the shops and counting my blessings…

No comments:

Post a Comment

Couple of days in Mayapur-Nabadwip

চা কি খাবোনা আমরা? - রিকি মায়াপুর না নবদ্বীপ ? ভাবলেই মাথা ঢিপ ঢিপ ! টোটো-র হর্ন আর মন্দিরের ভীড় , কচুরি পানা ভরা জল জলঙ্গীর ... তিলক কেটে...