Wednesday 9 March 2022

The Hilly Solitude - Day 12

I woke up a bit late than usual (courtesy Dhruv's bidding-goodbye movie late last night). Rajesh knocked on the door, with sleep in his eyes, 'ma'am chai?' A dearie, he is. I had told him off the other day because he was late and Mussoorie mornings are not the same without Rajesh's special ginger tea. The Sun was at its full strength today, basking the streets of Mussoorie with a vibrant energy. I found myself walking towards Landour, again.

Mussoorie Mall road in the morning...

As I was climbing up the initial steep of the road, my eyes were drawn to a sudden swift movement in a corner of a oak. I strained my eyes to observe but there was absolute stillness. I could see nothing but the oak and it's leaves. I took a couple of steps further and again there was a flutter. I stood very still now and watched. A little owlet sat in one of the branches! He looked very sleepy and comfortable. Ah, the sweet sweet thing. He fluttered his neck a little again and then fell into a stillness. Maybe, he's dreaming, who knows!

Valley view while climbing up the Landour hill

I took the path straight to the bakehouse today. I was craving for their bakery items and nothing beats a good brunch. Needless to say, I ate like a pig! I shook off any sneaky feeling of regret by thinking, 'well I'm walking real long distances each day. I need calories.' Whatever makes you happy, really! If you are a foody pig like me, do check out this fabulous article - Landour's food culture!. It has every gastronomical gems you might be looking for!

Landour Bakehouse

I, now, know all the popular trees and the flowers in the area - buraansh (rhododendron), banjh (oak), chir (pine) and as I was taking pride in it, a bunch of reddish-orange spiky flowers appeared at the next turn, bursting my pride-bubble. I asked a local if he knew the name. He smiled and nodded a negative. I guess there's a charm in not knowing as well. You see, whatever makes you happy ;)

Rhododendrons all over!

A car speeded by with a loud persistent honk and a heavy beat music! When you are in an environment where you can even hear the leaves fall and the plants spit, what's the need to honk?! Honestly, if we all could just slow down for a minute and practice patience, the world can be such a quiet and peaceful place! I don't understand people playing loud music on trek or these leisurely walks either. Don't you want to hear the mountains?

Ah the quiet of Landour!

I met a group of 3 while pottering around. They were all solo travelers and now have become friends. We exchanged a few smiles and moved on. The day was coming to an end. I walked down the Landour hill, through the Landour bazaar and walked all the way through the Camel back road. I sat for a while in the Hawa mahal, the light was low and pleasant now. A couple sat in the next bench and were reading a story book together. It made me smile. Nostalgia. I got up and then went up and down the Gun Hill and then to and fro the Mall road to mark the end of the day with all my favorites. Feels like visiting every place one last time and then just one more...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

Day 1 : PadangBai Ferry to Ubud centre, Campuhan Walk & Kecak dance! And then I dived my nose right into the touristy chaos and chatter...