Monday 3 December 2018

Kolkata.

I know this is meant to be a travel blog but this is more to my homecoming, this one is for the City of Joy – Kolkata.

I am born and brought up in Kolkata and I am proud of my city. But these last 3,4 years of living outside Kolkata gave me a different perspective. I have realized more and more that Kolkata is all about its people, its history. A place shapes personalities. And that’s the key to this city. Liberal, forward thinking people, people with courage to stand up to the society, people who are brave to go against the norms, people who have explained traditions in their right meaning, people who have defied rules and redefined structures adorn Kolkata. And I’m so proud and fortunate to be a part of this ever-changing dynamic city.

However, I have come back to my city of charm but also to a city of chaos. I realize, to me and many people like me, Kolkata is nostalgia. It has all the bitter sweet memories of your first kiss, first drink, first night out and so on. We are proud of our history, our courage and intellect. We shape good individuals. But the moment we grow up and as glorious as it is in our memories and was in the past, there is very little promise for future. Political confusion, low infrastructure, ridiculously slow pace of development are gradually overshadowing the city’s heritage.

Sadly, I have come back to a city of dust, noise and more chaos. It still has the warmest people, the world’s best food and the charming memory lanes. But it is struggling with its stranded agendas and stagnant avenues.

Kolkata today feels like the greatest city to come back to for the heartiest laughter with your friends and family, for comfort and support. But it feels crippled with socio-economic and political bureaucracy if you want to go beyond and over.

Well, like they say, live the moment. So, I’m going to go out now, cross the street and gorge on some ‘fuchkas’. Thankfully, no place can beat Kolkata when it comes to food and easy access to simple things in life. J

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

Day 1 : PadangBai Ferry to Ubud centre, Campuhan Walk & Kecak dance! And then I dived my nose right into the touristy chaos and chatter...