Wednesday 28 November 2018

Watching Squirrels @Wynnstay

Wynnstay was my home in the calm, quiet neighborhood of Burgess Hill in England. Just in front of my balcony stood a big ash tree. (I could never remember the name ash and the word ‘shy tree’ would come to me every time. For some reason the name ‘Ash’ is still a mental blocker). The branches of this Shy err Ash tree almost touch my balcony rails. Every morning I get visitors tapping their little wings and feet on those branches. Black and white magpie, tiny yellow tits and blue tits are pretty regular. A fluffy black cat is seen pottering around the tree too.

Among other regular visitors, the most energetic ones are the squirrels. Four of them run up and down the tree and all over its branches. They do acrobatics against the apartment walls taking help of any edge and corner that they can find.

We drive back home after a fine day, park our car in front of the ash tree facing my flat and sit there for half an hour watching these brown energetic rodents. They are always up to some menace, as if a big game is on or a big plot in play. Looks like this one is chasing the other to get his nuts. They climb around the trees in circles, pause and sprint, pause again, very still and then shoot off. Whilst these two carry on their find and fight, the other two are busy foraging the ground in search of nuts, busy and alert and extremely flexible!

It's such a bliss to take a break from your own rat race and watch the wonders of nature. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

Day 1 : PadangBai Ferry to Ubud centre, Campuhan Walk & Kecak dance! And then I dived my nose right into the touristy chaos and chatter...