Saturday 17 June 2023

McLeod Ganj memoir - Day 2

And the leg day has arrived! Ah, how I hate the throb in my calf muscles and how I love the view that it brings! How I have missed this...the feeling of being one with Nature, the smell, the touch, the sweat, the nerve, the peace and the thud in my heart!


Valley view on the way to Triund

Triund Trek has to be one of the best day hikes. It has so much variety starting from the winding trails to rocky boulders to rolling green meadow and then the climax being the majestic snow-walled peaks right in front of you..so close that you might just leap into it.


Cloud cover even before I could capture the peaks!


My eyes shot open at about 5 in the morning. I still hear a slow rumble from the sky. I check on my cousin. He is still deep in sleep. Should I wake him up? Will it be right to go to the top today? I ask our caretaker, Pawan. He doesn't seem too enthused either. My heart sinks. So does my cousin's. It's his first ever trek. And he's childlike-excited. I come out on the porch, looking out into the valley, pondering. As I stand still there, suddenly, a big sparkling rainbow covers the entire width of the valley! I don't believe in signs generally but this, i will take! Next, a bounty of sunshine appears from nowhere. Without hesitating any further, we gather a pair of sticks and rain jackets and start our hike.


And when the tree trunks dance!


As we climb our way up, sometimes amidst a long queue of sheep, sometimes sharing a happy smile with the lamas and the monks (they are all from Vietnam but my cousin disagrees. I know I'm right!) and other visitors who we meet on our walk, sometimes stomping our feet over a spread of sheep poo - each turn of the mountain keeps offering us stunning valley views with the Dhauladhaar range playing a constant peekaboo. Towards the last 1Km or so, the trail gets all the more confusing and rocky. We continue searching the cue for way forward and keep walking. In due time, we reach the top, welcomed by a few ponies and a magnificent view of the range! The clouds still hang around the peaks making them appear a bit blunt and hazy. But even so, we are spellbound. In my mind, I can imagine how mesmerising it will be in a clear sky, possibly during sunrise or a sunset! A mental note to do a proppa camping here, whilst we enjoy the current view. And just as if to make us acknowledge our share of sunshine, the weather turns from sunny to cloudy and the view of the peaks change to offer a more mystic perspective. There's always a lot to take in and the atmospheric appearance is another level altogether. Within a short span of time, we lose the majestic peaks behind the cloud but they continue to tickle us with a quick glimpse every now and then. The Moon peak appears to be towering over us , easily stealing the highlight of the day! We walk around aimlessly for a while. My cousin not knowing how to contain his excitement, buys two bags of chips at an exuberant price from one of the shacks, to celebrate and refuel ourselves! Not the greatest fuel food but you got to give it to his vain attempt to contain his fast beating heart!


Approaching Triund

Just when we decide to start our descent, the weather turns a notch more and 'ole' starts. Oh! The delight at first to see the entire green valley getting covered with droplets of icy bubbles! The towering peaks change to a cloudy moving mass, as if watching us play with this sudden shower of hails! And boy! do they hit hard! We reach this one turn of the mountains where it opens up to a huge valley and path contours all around the valley forming a big 'U' shape. At this part, the ole feels like thousands of rocks being hurled! It happily pricks the skin and bone out of us for a good 30 to 40 minutes. The weather luckily turns again! And this time, it offers us a peaceful, dry climate. From ecstasy to mercy - it's a good journey throughout the day!


'ole' has taken over the green meadow!


P.S: Whilst on this hike to Triund top, we met several people on the way but there was this one particular person who stands out by high standards! He marched all the way up as if on a military mission. Me and my cousin had stopped to soak in the first view of the Moon peak on the trail, when this man appeared. He paid no heed to the peak view by which we were at awe! There were waterfalls on the way, little gurgling streams, tiny birds creating a flutter, lines of goat and sheep munching on juicy grass, peaks peeking from some turn or the other but none of that distracted this guy ! He simply marched on and on with a bird's eye focus! Curious case that my cousin had taken up the responsibility to explore!


The first view of the Moon peak from the trail

All's well that ends well. So, now that we are back to the bottom of the trail, every moment feels precious - from the peeking Moon Peak to the hurling hail storm, from the bite of the Snickers at the top to the soft moving cloud - every experience seems to be adding to our continuous wonder. You know that feeling...when you keep getting amazed even when the moment's gone?

Contemplation...


No comments:

Post a Comment

Ubud, Bali, Indonesia

Day 1 : PadangBai Ferry to Ubud centre, Campuhan Walk & Kecak dance! And then I dived my nose right into the touristy chaos and chatter...